- Citizens United Case Helped Elect More Republicans
- House Republicans Don't Expect Government Shutdown
- Christie Makes Mexico Trip as Foreign Policy Test
- Franken Maintains Lead in Minnesota
- Senator's Refusal to Resign Changed South Dakota Politics
Celebrities Running Out of Time to File for Congress
Posted at 6:57 p.m. on March 11
The clock is ticking for any celebrity considering a run for the open-seat race to represent Beverly Hills in Congress.
At 5 p.m. PDT on Wednesday, filing will close in the race to replace retiring Democratic Rep. Henry A. Waxman.
Waxman’s 33rd District covers Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, parts of West Hollywood and Malibu. Early on, we had high hopes that at least one fun celebrity would jump into the mix. But in the waning hours of the filing period, this scenario has not come to pass.
Despite our very best efforts to cajole/Twitter troll various celebrities, not one star opted for a run.
The final celeb to respond to our query was none other than Jerry Mathers of “Leave It to Beaver.” Put him in the “no” column.
@RollCallAbby Not running for this Congress position now but thanks for thinking of me though!
— Jerry Mathers (@TheJerryMathers) February 12, 2014
We also got a sort-of response from actress Geena Davis. Or rather, the “official account for the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media” retweeted our query, which we interpreted as a “Maybe.”
— Abby Livingston (@RollCallAbby) February 3, 2014
(For non-absurd coverage of the race, check out our At the Races blog.)
Here is how the rest of your favorite celebrities stack up:
- Former talk show host Ricki Lake: No.
- Charlie Sheen nemesis/TV producer Chuck Lorre: Maybe.
- Fitness guru Richard Simmons: No.
- Soap star Lorenzo Lamas: Maybe.
We assume Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., and her merry band of congressional softball teammates are rooting for Geena Davis to run for one reason: They desperately need Davis to take her talents to the softball diamond:
Submit your hot tips and juicy gossip. Send us your anonymous tips here