Congressional Women’s Softball Game Rosters Made Public
Posted at 3:40 p.m. on April 30, 2013
After months of taunts, bragging and cryptic tweets, the member and press softball teams have finally released their rosters, with lots of new blood on both sides this year.
Female Washington reporters and members meet each June in a softball game that raises money for the Young Survival Coalition, a charity that supports young women diagnosed with breast cancer.
“Each year, when practices begin, I bounce out of bed, bright and early, ready to go, and this week was no exception,” the game’s founder, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., said in a release. She went on to note that this year will be both the fifth anniversary of the game and of her own breast cancer survival.
“I cannot imagine a better way to celebrate either accomplishment than by breaking our game’s fundraising record for the Young Survival Coalition and taking the trophy back from the Bad News Babes,” she added.
To which any self-respecting Texan would say, Come and Take It.
The game this year will be June 26.
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H. (captain)
- Rep. Susan W. Brooks, R-Ohio
- Rep. Cheri Bustos, D-Ill.
- Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va. (captain)
- Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Fla.
- Rep. Susan A. Davis, D-Calif.
- Rep. Donna Edwards, D-Md.
- Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-N.C.
- Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y. (captain)
- Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, D-Hawaii
- Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D.
- Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Wash.
- Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, D-Ariz.
- Rep. Grace Meng, D-N.Y.
- Rep. Grace F. Napolitano, D-Calif.
- Rep. Kristi Noem, R-S.D.
- Rep. Martha Roby, R-Ala.
- Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (who recently told this reporter “to prepare to feel the burn.” Snap.)
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz.
- Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-Ind.
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla. (captain)
Disclosure: The author of this post is a co-captain of the Bad News Babes, the press team.
And thanks to photographer Jeff Malet for taking so many photos of the game.