- Ron DeSantis Announces Florida Senate Bid
- Democrat Eyes Rematch in West Virginia's 2nd District
- Dan Donovan Wins Special Election to Succeed Michael Grimm
- Grimm's N.Y. District Stays in Republican Hands
- Senate Races, Pro Salaries and Perspective on Spending
The Coupe Attempts to Stir Up D.C. Mayoral Contest
Posted at 4:36 p.m. on March 25, 2014
The Coupe is seeking to capitalize on the swirling race to take the reins of D.C. by running a straw swizzle stick poll featuring cocktails married to the current crop of mayoral hopefuls.
Staff at the Columbia Heights hangout (3415 11th St. NW) were upfront about the fact that the signature beverages, which formally debuted last week, bear no direct relation to the corresponding pols. “They were very randomly assigned,” a Coupe aide told HOH.
Still, the restaurant is hoping to stir up some civic discourse by encouraging patrons to “vote” via drink orders — the official tallying of the boozy bellwethers begins at 5 p.m. Tuesday and will continue through midnight on April 1 — and welcoming candidates to drop off campaign materials while the contest is on.
Ballot bait includes:
- Vincent Gray — “French Bikini” (white cane juice rum, coconut cream, lime, hibiscus syrup)
- Carlos Allen — “Bas Bulles” (armagnac, Benedictine)
- Muriel Bowser — “Harvard” (cognac, sweet vermouth, angostura bitters)
- Bruce Majors — “Suzette” (Suze liqueur, brown butter, French gin, Licor 43, dry curacao, lemon)
- David Catania — “Royal Reviver” (gin, yellow chartreuse, cognac, dry curacao)
- Jack Evans — “Byrvardier” (rye, byrrh, Aperol)
- Tommy Wells — “Fraise Royal” (strawberry puree, sparkling wine)
- Reta Jo Lewis — “Pomme d’Or” (calvados, dry vermouth, yellow chartreuse, thyme)
- Vincent Orange — “ Kir Royal” ( crème de cassis, sparkling wine)
- Andy Shallal — “Left Ear” (absinthe, flaming sugar cube)
As our friends in Chi-town might say, “Vote early and often.”
Submit your hot tips and juicy gossip. Send us your anonymous tips here