DC Toques Mix Things Up for Charity
Posted at 5 a.m. on June 24, 2014
Local tastemakers are scheduled to take a crack at custom cocktail creation Thursday during a “Chefs Behind Bars” fundraiser benefitting Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign.
The debut competition is expected to take over the Liaison Capitol Hill’s rooftop deck (415 New Jersey Ave. NW) from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the glitzy evening — admission is $40 per person, and includes featured cocktails and passed hors d’oeuvres — may be purchased via NoKidHungry.org/Events.
Chefs tasked with whipping up crowd-pleasing tipples include:
- Alba Osteria’s Amy Brandwein (anticipated contribution: “Peaches & Herbs,” blending together peaches, infused whiskey and herbs)
- Art and Soul’s Wes Morton
- Bar Pilar’s Jesse Miller
- Bibiana’s Nick Stefanelli
- Cave Mezze’s Dmitri Moshovitis (anticipated contribution: “Melåni,” muddling together Grey Goose vodka, harissa syrup, St-Germain liqueur, lemon, mint and squid ink syrup)
- Liberty Tavern/Lyon Hall/Northside Social’s Matt Hill
- Pabu’s Jonah Kim
- Sunnyside Restaurant Group founder Spike Mendelsohn (anticipated contribution: “Diamond Brady,” a gin-oyster shot spiked with chili-infused bourbon, sherry vinegar and brined egg yolk)
The chefs will be competing for both critical approval (seasoned drinks slingers Derek Brown, Gina Chersevani and Duane Sylvester will join a handful of restaurant writers in passing judgment) as well as general love (people’s choice award).
Along with the specialty drinks (cash bar, otherwise), attendees can expect to feast on freshly shucked bivalves from Rappahannock Oyster Bar and choice nibbles (fried chicken biscuit sandwiches and veggie samosas are strong contenders) from Team Morton.
The food obsessed can also sink their teeth into auction items ranging from a three-course, dinner for two (with wine pairings) at Art and Soul to a pair of VIP tickets to a taping of “The Chew” — a cheflebrity-stalking opportunity sweetened by an autographed copy of Carla Hall’s “Cooking with Love” collection of recipes.
Can’t hang this week?
An event coordinator assures HOH an encore “Chefs Behind Bars” event should pop up at Chersevani’s Buffalo & Bergen (1309 Fifth St. NE) by late July.