Special Olympics Rates Tom Harkin Pure Gold
Posted at 4:30 p.m. on March 12
The Special Olympics is expected to wrap its annual lobbying push Wednesday with a Hillside reception honoring Americans with Disabilities Act author Sen. Tom Harkin.
During the ceremony, which is scheduled to take place in Dirksen 106 from 6 to 6:30 p.m., the Iowa Democrat will become the first lawmaker to receive the “Spirit of Special Olympics Award.”
According to a Special Olympics aide, Utah Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch, Special Olympics Chairman Dr. Timothy Shriver and Special Olympics athlete Corey Leonhard (from Iowa, ‘natch) are all slated to pay tribute to Harkin’s dogged leadership on disability issues.
Previous honorees include:
- Actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- The late Nelson Mandela
- Olympic gold medalist Nadia Comaneci
- Four-time Super Bowl champion Rocky Bleier
- Two-time World Series champion Ron Guidry
- Award-winning musician Herb Alpert
- Music mogul Jimmy Iovine
- Author and ex-Playboy Playmate Vicki Iovine
- Philanthropist Paul Marshall
Special Olympics personnel will also be visiting member offices to drum up support for funding initiatives designed to assist current and future participants.