- Senators Confirm Re-Election Bids for 2016
- Jerry Moran Kicks Off 2016 Cycle With $1.4 Million War Chest
- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
- First Look: Can Democrats Win the Senate in 2016?
- Democrats Lose Candidate and Hope in New York Special Election
Super Bowl Bet Pits N.Y. Breweries Against Smuttynose
Posted at 1:31 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2012
Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) are all in for the big game on Sunday, betting a round of craft brews from their home states on the outcome of the New York Giants-New England Patriots Super Bowl.
The collegial wager, Congress’ version of product placement, requires the loser to furnish every other Senator — they could actually assemble that proverbial 99 bottles of beer on a wall for the payoff! — with at least one bottle plucked from the winner’s local breweries.
So if the Giants can’t contain Tom Brady, Schumer must shower colleagues with gratis Smuttynose Brewing Co. suds. But if Eli Manning carries the day, Shaheen must pass out cold ones culled from: Blue Point Brewing Co., Brooklyn Brewery (we promise to give any leftover Local 2 or Sorachi Ace a good home), Brown’s Brewing Co., Captain Lawrence Brewing Co., Ithaca Beer Co. and Saranac Brewery.
Submit your hot tips and juicy gossip. Send us your anonymous tips here