- Jerry Moran Kicks Off 2016 Cycle With $1.4 Million War Chest
- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
- First Look: Can Democrats Win the Senate in 2016?
- Democrats Lose Candidate and Hope in New York Special Election
- DCCC Announces Final Fundraising, Debt Figures for 2014
The GOP Twitter Shuffle: Eric Cantor Edition
Posted at 12:37 p.m. on July 30, 2014
If history in GOP Twitter accounts is telling, Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., — who currently tweets from @GOPWhip — will take over the outgoing Virginia Republican’s Twitter handle, with Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., moving to McCarthy’s official GOP Whip account.
Making a Twitter account switch is not new to the Republican Party. John Boehner tweeted from @GOPLeader until taking over as speaker of the House in 2011 (you can now find him at @SpeakerBoehner). During that same time, Cantor’s handle was @GOPWhip.
Similar to his absences from GOP leadership news conferences, @GOPLeader has been largely silent since Cantor’s primary loss to economics professor Dave Brat. Cantor has tweeted from @GOPLeader three times since his loss, twice to congratulate new Republican leadership and once to make note of the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision.
Will Cantor bid us adieu with one last farewell tweet on @GOPLeader before handing the account over to McCarthy? Only time will tell.
Submit your hot tips and juicy gossip. Send us your anonymous tips here